During the 33rd ITI World Congress in Xiamen, China in September 2011, the general assembly appointed AKT-ZENT as Research Centre of the International Theatre Institute.
The motion was submitted by the German national ITI Centre:
“AKT-ZENT International Theatre Centre Berlin, which was appointed Research Centre of ITI – TECOM in 2006, shall be appointed Research Centre of the International Theatre Institute to conduct the ITI project World Theatre Training Library / Laboratory.
Artistic direction: Dr. Jurij Alschitz, programme direction: Christine Schmalor
The World Theatre Training Library / Laboratory will be realized in cooperation with the Theatre Education & Training Committee, national ITI centres and ITI-related world organisations .
The motion is supported by ITI centres Bangladesh, Cyprus, Mexico”
The Research Centre for Theatre Training has the following objectives:
- Investigation of the roots of European and World theatre traditions.
- Investigation of new connections, transformation of existing training, and rehearsal methods in various cultural contexts for the acting profession
- Experiment, development and implementation of new teaching methods for acting and directing
- Set-up of new acting and directing training in countries with no formal professional education for theatre
- Set-up courses to teach professional theatre practice
- Publication and distribution of the results
- international laboratories, seminars and master-classes on different specific themes
- online learning platform for hybrid theatre education
- curriculum development and implementation of courses for training of trainers
- colloquia, work demonstrations, and productions
- scientific documentation and publication
- International Festival for Theatre Training Methods METHODIKA (under the patronage of ITI – TECOM since 2001)